Thursday 4 April 2013

Last thoughts...

Looking back over my past entries I've been trying to work out what I have learnt from doing this blog...

I have realised that parties and the food we eat at them play a big role in our lives, especially as children. Children's literature throughout the years has shown different interpretations of what food means: from teaching kids manners, responsibility, how to cook, gender roles and even about controlling female desire. In the present day children's literature has moved from the didactive narrative of the Victorian era to a more fun, light hearted narrative form such as in Roald Dahl books where food becomes a function for humour as the revolting is used to entertain children. The texts I have analysed have shown all the different interpretations in relation to party food or a theme for a party and so I think it is clear to see how children's literature is a perfect starting point to look at if you want to come up with a creative theme or kind of food for a party that kids will love. The recipes I have shared with you are a great example of this and I hope they have given you  ideas for some exciting parties of your own. I've really enjoyed making the recipes myself and have also enjoyed looking back at my own childhood. I have discovered that food can signify important memories in our lives and particularly our childhood, thus it is good to have happy memories of baking in the kitchen with your Mum, choosing your birthday cake each year and of feasting on yummy food at parties. So I would definitely encourage letting kids help make any of the recipes I've suggested as although it will be messy, you're bound to build lots of memories of fun and laughter in the kitchen as even my Mum and I do now, and I'm 21! 

Happy cooking, eating, and partying!
(And maybe I'll be back with more posts or a new blog!)


3 comments:

  1. Absolutely adore this blog! Children's literature itself is so exciting and particularly in relation to food it really has so many paths to explore! Your blog gives a thorough insight of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire - I found these reflections really interesting. Would you be interested in writing a guest blog-post for us on children's literature, food and gender?

    Do let me know!
    Warmly
    Camilla
    http://bit.ly/1089qat
    @TheatreLGBT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camilla,

      Yes this sounds like it could be an interesting opportunity. If you could let me know more, perhaps through a contact email address?

      Claire

      Delete